Week 6 Grey Caftan



Starting out simply with an oversized shirt, I thought I could add deep texture to alter the shape and fit of the final garment.  "What is deep texture?"you ask. It is texture that takes advantage of the natural qualities of the fabric, like linen,  that wrinkles easily, but has an inherent stiffness to hold its shape.  By adding intentional wrinkles, I hoped that the top would have "stretch" to it, be more form fitting and have a very unique finish. 
After dying this top, I strategically gathered it all up while still wet and bundled it together with elastics. Once it was dry, I opened it up to find the unique texture I imagined but overall I was not impressed with the result.  I didn't anticipate how the extra bulk and stiffness would create less shape and have no natural drape or movement in the fabric at all. 

Moving forward, I threw the wrinkled top back into the wash, smoothing out the texture. After sleeping on it, so to speak, I brought out my collection of llaceremnants, recently gifted to me. Most of my inspiration or clarity comes in the few hours I spend lying quietly with my children while they fall asleep or when I finally try to go to sleep only to be stirred by design thoughts.
I'd seen many images of lace adorned garments that I loved. So it was an easy shift to cut up the original top, now light grey in colour, and add lengths of lace ribbon. 

To an oversized, formless top, the lace adds femininity while the placement gives the eyes a line to follow, sliming or defining the garment. Simple in its form, the caftan might be one of the most successful zero-waste designs used throughout history and across cultures. It was a complicated process but I finally discovered the simple and beautiful form that I started out with.
I am that I am. 

Comments

Popular Posts