Week 9 Ripple Top


Just last week, I was discouraged by the what seems to be the impossible task of improving humanities' relationship with our environment.  I know, this can sound preachy, but to break it down,  individually, we can only imagine a better planet for our children.  Yet not everyone's idea of a better future for their children is the same. And not everyone's basic needs are being met. Which means as long as our basic needs are not being met, we are unable to extend our thinking to issues like the environment.  Therefore it can feel daunting or even hopeless that significant change can come.
But this week, examples of those changes really seem to be happening. There are positive news stories speaking of change, changes in government, changes in laws surrounding damaging textiles practices, and changes in our thinking.

Keeping that in mind, I criticize my daily choices and try and figure out how "I can make the world a better place for my children".  My biggest hurdle with the completion of this weeks garment was my decision to use synthetic dye, again. With the top completely sewn together and only a few extra pieces to incorporate, there were a few things to consider. I could have left it uncoloured, something I need to challenge myself with in the future. But I chose to use the Tintex dye. I wanted it to work well and it is so easy to use.


But then I started questioning what do I do with the dye bath once the top is dyed?  In the city I would have just poured it down the drain and felt comfortable believing the remaining liquid and dye would be treated. But I don't live in the city and we have a septic system. I don't know what the dye is actually made of and there are no ingredients on the box. Checking the website, there are MSD Sheets available, but I still questioned what would be the best practice.

I don't want to dump it down the drain, do I dump it in the bush?  As my paranoid thoughts played out I realized that making the most from the dye would comfort my conscience and over dyes and indigo inspirations filled my mind. An attempt at zero-waste dying perhaps?  I will continue to dye other garments and fabric until the liquid is clear enough for me to feel comfortable returning it to the water cycle. 

Even thought this zero waste project is a way for me to create and express myself , my children are paying attention.  They want to help with "mommy's project" and I am excited to learn and share with them along the way. Collecting flowers has been their favorite contribution and helping stir the fabric in the dye bath is an exciting experience. Of course they always want to help and it is my challenge to find ways to include them without dying them blue too!  Our individual choices ripple out into the world around us, and I am grateful to be able to be mindful of what I will leave behind for my children.

I am that I am.

Comments

Popular Posts